FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Terminal Dump at MAF after US Soldier attempts to bring bomb thru TSA checkpoint
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:08 am
PTravel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SATTSO
It is amazing that many peolpe do not get this.

As pointed out by the GAO, the FBI, and various other agencies, the greatest risk is an un-assembled IED. It is more difficult to see on the x-ray. It can potentially be brought in at different airports. People involved do not need be on the same flight; they do not need to meet - one person can dump an item in a trash can for another to pick up in an hour or so later.

Explosives found at the checkpiont is such a rare event that dumping the terminal is a prudent measure. After which a sweep of the terminal should be conducted, and passengers/employees re-screened. To not do so would be silly. Would be stupid, actually.

But I suspect that many on this site will complain about TSA no matter what happens. Goes with the territory, I guess.
I understand your point, and it's not necessarily unreasonable. However, what you are seeing is the "cry wolf" effect in action. TSA has conducted so many unnecessary terminal dumps, confiscated so much obviously non-threatening contraband, invaded so many innocent people's privacy, and claimed success for so much failure that, at this point, it is little to no credibility with most of the public. Perhaps some day TSA will actually stop a terrorist threat at the airport. Will it be worth all the constitutional violations, the impositions, and the police state tactics to which we have been subject for the last 10 years?

There's a reason why people don't wear broken wristwatches, notwithstanding that they display the right time twice a day.