FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Holiday milesAAver Award Travel Inventory - limits, releases
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:48 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, this stuff probably belongs in the general "Award Availability" thread, but I would submit that the 330 day load is still a useful booking strategy on AA for plan-ahead travellers. I'm no expert on this (I haven't studied it), but it seems to me that more award seats get loaded at 330 days than at any other time in the calendar. And compared to some other airlines I've looked at, like CO, AA still follows the 330-day pattern.

As far as staying up past midnight to grab the first 330-day seats, I would say that practice exists, but is limited. I've played that game to Hawaii for peak times on DL and it does work -- and I could tell other people were playing the game too as seats would quickly disappear. But for most markets -- and YUL would certainly be one of them -- it's completely unnecessary. There aren't enough anal people out there to worry about.

In general, if you really want to force an award seat when the airlines don't want to give you one, you have to be creative. Strip your trip down segment by segment and see where the "problem" is. Consider the option of partners, and non-standard connections (you have 24 hours in a city to make a legal AA award connection). Consider nearby airports and cities. And then once you have a strategy, call instead of relying on the websites. In most cases, you can make something work. I don't think I've ever abandoned an award trip that I wanted because I couldn't find anything. I have, however, switched frequent flyer programs where one program was making the trip particularly difficult to book (usually Skymiles).
No you dont, not on the Canada and USA awards. It is 4 hours only.

The only option you have outside the 4 hours, is the Last flight in First flight out connection if it is a domestic award.

Only Int'l award that involves NA has that 24 hours connection luxury. Pure Int'l awards seem not to have that as being reported a few times that the system priced it as 2 awards.