FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's a Flyertalk DO?
View Single Post
Old May 23, 2002, 8:04 pm
Catman
Commander Catcop

What's a Flyertalk DO?

Some people have been asking what a "DO" is?

While I may not have the purrfect answer, I'm going to try (and go ahead and move to the appropriate catagory

A Flyertalk gathering is when at least two and probalby no more than a dozen flyertalkers get together anywhere, from an airline club to a restaurant.

Example: Catman is flying through LA, and he calls his buddies PremEx and Newself and Mr. Limo for beers at the president's Club. Koko happens to see Catman and joins in the fun and razzes geo1004 over the cell phone for not showing up.

A DO is one step up from a gathering. it's where more than a dozen people get together centered around some event or city or restaurant. It has at least one big dinner with IF TIME PERMITS -- Thank you MASHAV for the clarification a number of smaller events which could be everything from brunches and tours to even bar crawling

DOS are harder to organize than gatherings because there's money to be colelcted, restaurants to review, handing several dozen people.

For example: the ORD event in May, 2002 is definitely a DO becuase it's centereed around something: going to Chicago. It has at least 12 people going. Let's say ORD can be considered a "MEGA" DO (when 50 or more peopel show for the event.)

The PIPS can be called DOS. Missy's SEA party is a do. So is Portland and YYZ in July, 2002.

The word "DO" I believe was coined in 1999 when I put together the very first gathering of friends in NYC. I called it "The catman DO " Two more followed, and the Catman Do 3, March 2001 holds the record for MOST FLYERTALKERS IN ONE SETTING -- 82 AT DINNER AND several others meeting up during that weekend.

SO in sum:

Gathering: 2-12 flyertalkers for a small event like dinner or drinks.
DO: 12 or more people meeting at one central place like a restaurant, with other events during the period of the DO.

FYI: OMNI is to title a post that can be considered totally off topic for a particular thread.

(Copyrighted: 2002, CMS, INC)

This message has been readjusted after my friend MASHAV made some good points about what a DO IS. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 05-23-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 06-19-2002).]