FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - to the Elite passenger on my yyc yyz flight...
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:33 pm
PointWeasel

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by visitor
I had a similar situation some time ago. E90, I was sitting in 3A, briefcase in overhead bin over row 2. Just before take-off, I take out my briefcase for a second to pull out some papers, fellow in 2A jumps up and jams his bag where my briefcase had been. I didn't realize what he had done until I turned around to put my bag back. I was gobsmacked, and politely asked him to remove it. He refused, and as I escalated my demands, he told me to 'chill out' and 'relax' and similar stuff. This didn't go over too well with me, and I was about to dump his bag on his lap when the flight attendant intervened in a very neutral manner and asked me to give him my bag. I wasn't too keen to do this but did. He took my bag and placed it somewhere (I think) in Y. I was pretty ticked but bit my tongue as now the argument would have been with the FA. Flight takes off, I'm still steaming. FA gets up, calmly removes the other guy's bag from J, goes back to Y, swaps it with mine, brings mine back, puts it where it had been, walks off. Not a word. On landing, buddy is stuck trying to swim against the tide to get his bag.

Should I have ignored the FA and dumped bag on his lap? Outside of an airplane, yes, in a heartbeat. On an airplane, I'm glad I showed restraint, and the FA was clearly grateful that the situation did not escalate out of control.
I loved this story. ^

Over the 19 flights over the past 2 weeks, I was lucky not to encounter someone as rude as this for the most part, knock on wood. For me, Plan A would be to use the overhead bin just above, not across and above, your own seat. Period. If its full, only then does Plan B kick into play for me. Seems sort of common sense to me.

On my much delayed YUL-YYC flight home on New Years Day I watch some guy sitting in Y throw his duffle bag into the overhead bin at row 3 and continue heading to the back. I couldn't resist to see just how far back he went so I stood up to grab something from my bag and he was in the row 30s. Ballsy and rude.