FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changing Money in BKK - Swampy
View Single Post
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:51 pm
dsquared37
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by RoninTech
Since I don't have access to town I think I just need to figure out whether the currency exchange booths give better deals than the ATMs accessible in our pre-customs situation. Hopefully someone has experience with this and will pipe up.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!
What i intended to say, poorly, was that since the airport bank mini-branches give a worse rate than in town, and you'll also pay 150 THB per transaction, the key question is: Do the associated ATMs also give the same low rate... and that's what you've posed above.

If the ATMs will also give you the 'normal rate minus 1.0 THB' then I'd recommend bringing as much cash as you feel comfortable carrying. It will be a better deal than using the ATM.

You keep mentioning 'pre-customs' but that has no bearing on your scenario. All banks in the airport, whether in the international or domestic areas, give exactly the same rate.

In fact, even having not gone through customs (which you'll do upon picking up your bags in HDY) you will go through immigration in BKK and then can wander anywhere in the airport or outisde.

Your best bet for exchange is, in order:
1) bank exchange off BKK grounds
2) bank exchange in Hat Yai
3) ATM in Hat Yai
3) exchange at BKK
4) ATM in BKK

Here is a very informative site

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx