FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA767 OSLO-LHR 4th Jan
View Single Post
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:47 pm
LTN Phobia
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Allegra1986
Thanks! That's very true, I just hate to hear unfamiliar noises while flying...maybe just something unique to the type of plane today and I haven't flown that type before
If you are a nervous flyer, you tend to hear things a lot more, precisely because you are nervous. Most noises on aeroplanes are completely benign, although they may sound quite disconcerting to you. You might like to listen to music on your headphones once it is permitted to use electronic devices after take-off and until you have to turn them off, to block out the noises to make you feel a bit better.

Still, the best course of action is to trust the pilots, particularly the very-well trained BA ones. They too have self-preservation instincts and would like to live a happy, safe life

Originally Posted by BearX220
That flight is an A321. The noise on climbout is the patented Airbus nasal whine -- perfectly normal.
Ah, I never considered that noise to be a "chainsaw noise" - I call it the 'whine'. That's definitely completely normal then. I thought it was the "barking dog noise" that was described as "chainsaw noise" (until I read the OP's post properly and read that it happened during take-off during which I admit not having noticed the barking dog).

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jan 4, 2012 at 6:54 pm