FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I switch to National?
View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:15 pm
Buster

Should I switch to National?

Hi all! I'm Avis First and considering switching to National. A bit of background: I rent probably 12-15x a year, 90% of which is at PDX. National used to be off airport there, but is now on-airport, and I've just about had it with Avis. The final straw came on Christmas day, when they didn't have my name on the preferred board. I went downstairs to stand in line while the man in front of me asked the price of literally ever car, then negotiated the price down by waving Enterprise and Thrifty prices at the agent for at least 20 minutes. He then was given a brand new <500 miles car, while I was given a filthy car not in the class I reserved with tons of miles. Yeesh.

Here's the rub - although I am often abused by Avis, I do have status, which provides some very minimal benefits, namely free weekend coupons. Is it worth making the switch to National? My rentals are primarily weekends - how is the Emerald Aisle at PDX on the weekends? The PDX thread seems to have some fairly mixed reviews on car availability, and as a non-Exec member, I'm wondering if it's worth switching...

Thanks!