FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Think twice about using United miles to Australia
Old Jan 2, 2012, 1:01 pm
Baze
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by obersee1
I had to vent about my experience with United from the US to Australia. It was absolutely miserable and I only flew United because I could go with miles. I just did this roundtrip route in November 2011 and I can report no improvements have been made since their CEO claimed a year ago that improvements were on the way. The seats and aisles are significantly narrower than United domestic flights. I almost wasted $175 or so to upgrade to economy plus and I'm glad I didn't as I noticed hardly any improvement in space. The absence of personal entertainment units was unacceptable, even if you have an iPad. I couldn't believe they played these violent movies with explosions part of the way. I was trying to sleep a few rows back from the large center section tv on the back of the bathrooms and I kept waking up to the large, bright flames - crazy they would show this. Worst thing was the rude flight attendants that BULLDOZED passengers down the aisle. I was stepped on TWICE with no apology by flight attendants walking faster than necessary up and down the aisle. There is absolutely nowhere to stand to stretch your legs. They tell you at the beginning of the flight not to stand anywhere in the aisles. Very dangerous with deep vein thrombosis risk. if you need to get something out of your bag and want to quickly lean out in the aisle to retrieve something, watch out for the flight attendants that step on you and yell at you to get back in your seat! You are glued to your seat for 14 hours straight. I'm used to finding a few empty seats together when i fly internationally, but I can report these flights were oversold (SFO-SYD) with not an empty seat each way. It's not worth it to use miles to go with United. Pay to fly Virgin or Air New Zealand instead.
As no one else has said it, welcome to Flyertalk. You can get a lot of good information on this site. Lots of information about the dismal product of UA 747 in coach. Your thread title would be more appropriate if it said Think twice about using United miles in 747 coach as all the 747's are the same in coach and they go a lot more places than just Australia.

So read until your brain hurts and you will absorb a lot if good information. And ask questions. You also will learn to get a thick skin on Flyertalk as some just can't resist flaming people for things. But if you learn to ignore the negative there is a lot of good information here.

Welcome.

Last edited by Baze; Jan 2, 2012 at 1:53 pm