FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A few flights to end 2011
View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:05 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
PANAMA CITY, PANAMA to MIAMI (PTY-MIA) on American Airlines 737-800 in business

A few days later and I was back to the airport to resume flying. I arrived quite early as I had some work to do. The economy line was long and slow moving. The business/premium line was short but not moving at all. A couple were checking in some dogs and a cat and it was taking an age. The agent on the second business/premium check in desk seemed to be typing a lot but was not processing any passengers. Eventually one of the economy check in agents started dealing with business/premium passengers.

I was quickly given a boarding pass and immigration form. I asked to be checked in for the onward flight but was told they couldn't because it was another airline. Ummm, isn't that supposed to be a benefit of an alliance? I quietly pleaded but to no avail. Crud. My next transit is moderately long and I'd planned to get a decent chunk of work done in the lounge but now I'd have to hang around landside waiting for local check in to open.

Immigration and security were quick. I had the first pat-down of the trip though. WTMD alarm didn't go off so I'm not sure why I got special treatment.

A short walk to the lounge. I hopped onto a computer and tried OLCI'ing for the next flight. Unfortunately the airline's website redirected me to AA.com, which advised I was already checked in (for the Panama to Miami flight) and didn't offer options to check in any other flight. Crud - 2nd attempt failed. On some other airlines, like Singapore Airlines, you can OLCI even if there is a prior flight(s) on another airline as long as you've been checked in to that other flight(s). Some other logic, such as only after departure or landing of the prior flights, seems to be at play here.

I grabbed a juice to try to shake the cobwebs off, for again I was rather tired on little sleep, and have a very long day ahead.

I boarded quite late, just 15 minutes to departure, as I thought the flight wasn't too full. For the first time in my 4 flights to USA on this trip I had my bag searched at the airbridge. I guess boarding early the other flights avoided this.

When I entered the aircraft there was someone in my seat but it turned out she had the window instead of my aisle seat. Just as well as the aircraft was totally full.

Pre-departure drink was water or orange juice. A short flight time was announced.

After takeoff a hot towel, meal and drink orders were taken. Breakfast was a choice of omelette or yoghurt & granola. When the meals came to be served my seat mate was informed that the printout was incorrect and the hot meal is actually scrambled eggs (plus lots of chorizzo and what appeared to be an empanada). The continental meal turned out to be some yoghurt and a teaspoon of cereal. Both meal options came with croissant with added butter (eek!) and a fruit plate.

After I'd eaten I tried reading but fell asleep, waking with the descent announcements. We arrived slightly early at a 40s gate. So this trip I've now had Miami gates in the 10s, 20s, 30s and 40s.