FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A few flights to end 2011
View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:30 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
MIAMI to PANAMA CITY, PANAMA (MIA-PTY) on American Airlines 737-800 in business

The gate was just around the corner from the lounge, and I'd checked that the flight was not very full, so I left the lounge fairly late. Boarding was completed very early, or so I thought.

Pre-departure drink of water, orange juice or sparkling wine (described as champagne but I'm sure it wasn't). I made the mistake of choosing the "champagne" - 1 sip was all I could take.

After several minutes 2 passengers turned up. The flight attendants were chatting in the galley. Apparently we were still waiting for two more passengers who had checked in at Miami but somehow not made it to the gate. A few minutes passed. Then the doors closed and we pushed back 5 minutes early. The 2 missing passengers had no checked bags and the gate agent had decided to cut them no more slack.

The aircraft was new. Seats were the same, but with a little legroom it seemed. Different overhead bins and panel (air vent and lights). I again had an empty seat alongside me, for the 6th of 8 possible flights (for the other 3 flights I was seated in both aisle and window simultaneously).

I struggled to stay awake for the safety video (and later, dinner). The plastic cups were collected rather late as the flight attendants were yakking. We were almost through taxiing before they were picked up.

After take-off immigration forms were handed out and about 20 minutes later the customs form. I guess those had gotten misplaced. Meal orders, a choice between steak or fish (halibut), and drink orders were taken.

We had good views of lights of Miami for the first few minutes then darkness until close to Panama City.

Service was quick - the flight attendants rushed through everything in the first hour or so and then spent the rest of the flight talking in the galley.

First, a drink in nice big glasses (yes I was given 2 drinks without asking) with nuts. Actually difficult to fit all this on the little drinks tray, so I utilised the tray from the adjacent seat. A glass was dropped in the galley.

Second, a large plate of salad, with our own mini bottle of balsamic dressing to add to our own taste. Bread a choice of white or cheese bread. No drink refill. Despite being the first served and eating much faster than I usually do, I was last in the cabin to finish this course and have the plate removed.

Third, the mains. No drink refill until after all other passenger's mains plates were removed (I was still going). Another glass was dropped. This time by my seat.

Fourth, dessert - icecream (vanilla with chocolate crunch) and nuts. Almost a classic sundae but missing the sauce and cream.

By the time I finished the flight attendants were talking up a storm and so it took a while for my tray to be cleared. Unsure whether they would come by offering drinks again I asked for another at this time.

I read some reports and tried unsuccessfully to doze. I was pretty tired having gotten no sleep the night before, but couldn't manage any onboard.

We landed early but spent 15 minutes waiting for our gate to become free and so ended up on time. Immigration was a short walk away. There was a very short queue and little wait. They glanced at my passport, stamped on the observations page and I was on my way. All bags are x-rayed at customs. Despite only one machine being in use this didn't take long and within 2 minutes of doors open I was landside.