FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A few flights to end 2011
View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2011, 4:41 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
SINT MAARTEN (SXM-MIA) on American Airlines 737-800 in business

A few days later I was back at the airport checking in for my next couple of flights. It took longer than it should, not because of any queue (there were none), but because the check in agent insisted I needed a visa for USA.

I pointed out that I'd just been to USA a few days prior and didn't need a visa then. No movement - I must have a visa or I won't be allowed to check in.

She wouldn't take up my suggestion to look it up on the computer. For some countries I have a habit of printing out the immigration requirements from Timatic in order to assist confused or unknowledgable staff. However I've never bothered with one for USA as I thought it would be so well known that visas aren't required for me.

Just as I started wondering my next step - perhaps a phone call to AA, the agent suddenly gave in without a word and issued me with 2 boarding passes.

Immigration and security were both quick. There is no included lounge here, only a pay per use one ($20 - which didn't seem worth it given the short time and limited amenities listed on the door). So I grabbed a quiet spot in front of the big windows and watched some cruise ships go by headed for port for a day visit to the island, as well as some yachts and various aircraft. The terminal was fairly noisy due to the volume on the tvs which are spaced at regular intervals. It reminded me of Narita airport, where it is also hard to escape noise of tvs (and also the endless "the end of the walk is ahead" messages).

The flight was under 50% full so plenty of space and we also pushed back early. A pre-departure drink of water, orange juice or coffee.

Brief views of the island, and Anguilla as we turned sharply over the lagoon and headed out over the Caribbean Sea.

Breakfast was a fruit pottle with syrupy juice, a croissant, sugary cereal with milk.

I read and dozed to catch up on some sleep. We landed early and despite a long taxi and brief wait for our gate we still arrived some 30 minutes ahead of schedule.