FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RIPOFF? :Thrifty Refuel Charges at PHX on Full Gas Tank
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:22 am
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ColoBill1
That's surprising to hear. I can't recall ever driving a rental car more than 65miles before the fuel indicator fell below full. More often than not, it occurs after driving 45 to 55 miles. Not sure what size/type car you rent, but mine have been up to a midsize.
I rent and drive all manner of cars, usually from midsize up to fullsize, luxury, and SUV.

A Chrysler Town and Country I picked up at National in DCA took 5.9 gallons just off-airport. (I have the receipt to prove it.) The needle had *just* moved off of the F mark when I pulled it out of the garage.

Most of the rest of the time, it only takes 1-2 gallons, but occasionally I get one that takes about 3.

Originally Posted by ColoBill1
Understand, but this is something that a customer should not have to do. If companies are so bent on ensuring their cars are returned full, then they should extend the same courtesy when renting to customers. "Trust" works both ways.
I don't necessarily disagree. However, behind the scenes, it can be a huge logistical challenge to fill up every car that gets cleaned, which is what this would require.

Many locations have fuel pumps collocated with their vacuum stations, so filling up the gas tank only takes an extra few seconds (enough to stick the nozzle in and then fill out the log sheet [or punch it into the computer, if so equipped] for the car being filled up), since the gas pumps while the car is being vacuumed, Windexed, Armor-Alled, and otherwise serviced.

However, most other locations have a fuel island located (usually for safety reasons) outside of the garage/cleaning area. Filling up these cars involves driving down slow circular ramps to the fueling area, wasting time waiting for the pump to finish, and then driving back up circular ramps to the washing area. This can in many cases more than double the amount of time it takes to clean a car. That translates into a significantly increased need for staff, which in turn significantly increases the cost of the operation, which will ultimately show up in the form of higher rates. When most cars that return won't take but a few tenths of a gallon of gas (i.e. an unbillable amount), that is not a feasible option.

That's not even factoring in some locations that have to either drive to an offsite cleaning facility for cars low on fuel (as opposed to the on-airport quick-turnaround-area) or even an offsite retail gas station, which would make a "fill all cars" policy completely cost-prohibitive.

That said, there are some locations that, as a policy, do fill up every car that gets returned. However, be aware that these locations are usually correspondingly strict with gas shortage upon return. One location I know charges a full tank of prepaid gas on every car and only refunds it at return with a gas receipt. During cleaning, they then fill up every car and re-charge the full tank of prepaid gas if the car takes more than 0.5 gallons. Yes, 0.5 gallons. I wouldn't stop filling it at the first click if I were returning a car there!

At least you know you'll get a car with a very full tank...