FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wing Walking on a 747! – A Trip to Longreach, Australia, on Qantas
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:06 am
matthandy

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Brisbane to Longreach in Economy with Qantas

Flight: QF2532
Carrier: Qantas
Aircraft: Bombadier Dash 8-Q400 - VH-QOX
Scheduled Departure time: 10.50
Duration: 2h 20m
Scheduled Arrival time: 14.00
Class: Economy
Seat: 3D seat plan)

VH-QOX on the apron

Loading the bags

Boarding

We had a short walk to the aircraft, the route was marked out on the apron for us. I was on-board at 10.45. My first impressions were that it seemed like quite a new aircraft. A bit of research discovered that it was actually only two years old. It seemed reasonably spacious inside, although not as much as the ATR-72 that I flew on in New Zealand. That felt like it had ‘proper’ airline seats whereas this seemed a bit more cramped.

The configuration was 2-2, although window seats had compromised leg room, due to the curvature of the aircraft. I’d secured seat 3D, a window seat on the right hand side of the aircraft. Row 3 is in front of the propeller, so I wondered what the noise might be like. I’d say that if you want to avoid the engines, then rows 4-13 are not for you. I stowed my bag in the overhead locker (it just fit, with a bit of pushing) and sat down, whilst boarding carried on.

Cabin overview

Seat 3D

Legroom – not bad, but note the restricted space near my right foot

Pitch – 31” apparently, although it seemed to be better than that

We pushed back at 10.57. The aircraft seemed to be about 75% full. I was lucky enough to have a spare seat next to me, as were my friends in row 14, so they were able to spread themselves over two rows.

The engines didn’t seem as loud as I thought they would be. A recorded safety demo was started, with a manual demonstration of the seat belt and life jacket. Interestingly, I don’t remember any discussion about oxygen masks, maybe that is just my lack of memory, or something to do with the fact that we cruise at an altitude that doesn’t require them? Maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm.

The Captain came on at 11.10 whilst we were taxiing out. The flight time to Barcaldine was expected to be 1 hour and 40 minutes and then Longreach would be 15 minutes flight time after that.

We took off at 11.15, after waiting for a couple of other aircraft to take off. We took off in the opposite direction to the way we landed on the 767 earlier. I suspect that the wind must have changed.

Take off was quick, loud and powerful. In fact, I should say, very loud!

Aircraft on-stand at the International Terminal

Climbing out of Brisbane and into the outback

It took quite a long time to climb to our cruising altitude of 24,000 feet. All the time, the engines vibrated the aircraft. The noise was quite intrusive and I wondered if the crew had to wear ear plugs.

I stretched out and set up my iPad. My headphones helped to block out the noise of the engines.

We were supposed to get a ‘refreshment’ on this flight and I wondered what it might be. At 11.25 the two crew members came around offering a snack box. It was actually quite substantial. There was a savoury muffin, several biscuits, dried fruit and tropical mix. The crew brought the drinks trolley up to offer soft drinks. I asked for a coke.

Snack box

We had quite a bit of turbulence at around 12, which is interesting in such a small aircraft as we really got shaken about.

Looking out of the window, I was surprised to see that it was rather green outside. I was expecting this part of the world to be a bit drier and redder.

The rest of the flight was mostly uneventful, until 12.50 when the Captain came on to announce that we had started our descent into Barcaldine. I packed everything up in preparation for landing. The crew made an announcement for passenger about what to do when we landed. Those going on to Longreach had to remain on board. We landed about 10 minutes later, with a huge sweep over the mostly barren landscape to line up to the runway. The airport seemed like it was in the middle of no-where. It was possible to see the runway from quite a distance away.

The landing was quite hard but we pulled up quickly. Wow, is this the smallest airport ever?!

Barcaldine – A tin shed!

We pulled up at the ‘terminal’ and were met by the ground crew. There was a full complement of staff, even though this airport only had one arrival/departure each day. The staff were even wearing full Qantas uniforms. The bags were off-loaded from the forward hold and then the new bags were re-loaded. There are two holds on this aircraft, one at the front and one at the rear. This means that the bags can be separated. Passengers boarding at Barcaldine would be going onwards to Brisbane as the aircraft lands and Longreach before heading back.

I got up and walked to the back of the aircraft to see my friends. The cockpit door as open so I was able to get a quick snap. I thought about asking if I could get a proper photos but the crew seemed rather busy, so I didn’t bother.

A view from the back of the cabin

The cockpit

At 13.20, all of the new passengers and bags were loaded. I had managed to keep the seat next to be free. We taxied the length of the runway and then turned around and took off. Again, it was very loud and powerful.

Turning around

Take off from Barcaldine

The seat belt sign remained on for the entire 20 minute flight to Longreach. The distance by road is only 105 km. Our approach took us away from town and we landed from the North East, towards the airport terminal. It was a pretty turbulant landing by all accounts and it was obvious that there was a little bit of a crosswind.

By 13.50 we’d made it to Longreach and pulled up to the terminal, almost directly in front of the original Qantas hangar. Luckily, there was a little more than just a tin shed at Longreach airport, so waiting around for the return flight in a couple of days would be comfortable enough.

We were able to dis-embark at about 13.55. The first thing that I noticed upon leaving the aircraft was the heat. Wow! It was about 40 degrees outside, compared to 20 or so in Brisbane. Quite a shock!

Disembarking

Disembarking

I made my way into the terminal and waited for my friends. We all had bags to collect so started looking for the baggage re-claim. There’s no belt here, you simply step outside and the handlers bring the bags around on a trolley. As we did so, we could see the familiar 747 sticking it’s nose out over the bushes, spying on us.

Nosey

Collecting our bags

After we grabbed our bags it was time to walk to the hotel, the Albert Park Motor Inn, which was just across the road from the airport.

Verdict

A very interesting and enjoyable flight on this little Dash 8. It was pretty comfortable, the leg room was good, although it would have felt more cramped if the seat next to me was taken (I’d discover this on the return flight). The food was pretty good, better than what I got on the Sydney to Brisbane flight. The two cabin crew were friendly enough. Landing at a small outback airport such as Barcaldine was also a great experience. It made me realise how much the people that live there rely on the flight to keep them fully connected with people in the cities.

The only thing that I didn’t like about this flight, or this aircraft, was the noise. It was really very loud indeed. If I get the chance again, I’d like to try a different position, to see if it is quitter down the back.

Coming Up

A day at the Qantas Founders Museum including:

- Sitting in the cockpit of the 747
- Wing walking
- Climbing down into the avionics bay and cargo hold
- Standing in one of the engines
- Flexing the wing by doing some pull-ups
- Playing cabin crew!