FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A few flights to end 2011
View Single Post
Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:36 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
SANTO DOMINGO to MIAMI (SDQ-MIA) on American Airlines 767-300 in business

Business was less than half full, even counting the deadheading pilot and crew, so plenty of space. Pre-departure drink a choice of water or orange juice in a plastic cup.

For the first few minutes of the flight I endured blinding sun (I was in the middle seats and no one seated where the sun was coming in to pull down the blinds). Once the blinds were pulled down my drink and meal order was taken. A choice of cheese tortellini or chicken with rice, both with salad drowning in dressing, a roll and a cheesecake dessert. Plentiful drink refills all flight.

No PTV but main screen was showing some NBC programs.

We landed very early and then had to wait 10 minutes for the gate to become available. A long walk to airtrain, 2 stops to immigration and another long walk - all up about 15 minutes from gate to immigration. Well it felt long after so many hours travelling and carrying a non-wheelie bag. Immigration was a zoo, and with no aircon or fans it was also hot. It took more than 90 minutes of queuing to reach the front, and then the officer took a dislike to my wierd itinerary so I was sent to secondary. Secondary was fairly quick but by the time my shuttle turned up it was 2.5 hours since we'd landed. I was glad it only took 5 minutes instead of 30 as promised for the shuttle to arrive - the best example of under promising and over deliverying all trip and a welcome relief after so many hours travelling. Yes I was hot, tired and grumpy by now, and feeling distinctly unseasonal.

Finally I leave the airport, but only just as my hotel was just around the other side of the airport.