FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A few flights to end 2011
View Single Post
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:38 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
NEW YORK JFK to SANTO DOMINGO (JFK-SDQ) on American Airlines 777-200ER in business, first seats

The terminal was busier than I expected. I went straight to premium check-in where the bouncer incorrectly directed me to the business line (my status allows first class check in). Progress in both lines was slow with the usual check in dramas of people wanting to check in their kitchen sink, people turning up 20 minutes before departure hoping to make their flight, bags that a caber tosser may struggle with, etc.

After more than 30 minutes of waiting it was my turn. Computer says no. Supervisor was sought = more waiting because she was rushing around supporting agents dealing with stressed passengers. Computer still says no. I was obviously tired and not thinking as the eventual realisation of the issue by another agent is something I knew about already - no address details had been input for my return flight to USA. Of course this isn't something US-based check in agents have to deal with too often.

That sorted it was a sluggish trip through premium security. Too many passengers with multiple bags, personal items and coats.

I headed into the flagship lounge, where I had a shower (get key at reception), caught up on some messages and posted a little of this trip report. The time until boarding flew by and I headed for the gate a little later than I'd intended. While in most of the world I like to stay in the lounge and board as late as possible, in North America I know I have to board early to make sure the overhead bin space isn't filched by some leech who can't be bothered carrying their heavy bags back to row 25 or something and instead dump them above row 2. This time, however, I needn't have bothered - boarding was at door 2L so no passengers were going past my seat.

When I had to reroute I played with schedules to come up with something that worked - i.e. remained at 16 segments on the main ticket, avoiding an overnight in New York, didn't have an unrealistic connection time at a US airport where I'd need to clear immigration. Amongst the options was Santo Domingo with the 777 on the morning flight from JFK. As I haven't previously flown in the first class suites on American Airlines I wanted to try it, and having top alliance status meant I could get a first class seat on this flight (no first class is sold), and I was able to get the ticket rerouted to achieve it.

The seat is nice enough but hardly a premium first class seat. Some features, like the space available are great. Others, like small PTVs and earbuds instead of headphones are outdated even for business class on many airlines. My inner child enjoyed swiveling the seat for a few minutes while boarding was underway.

Pre-departure drink was a choice of water, orange juice or coffee - all in plastic cups. Breakfast orders were taken while we were on the ground. A choice of cheese omelette, or sugary cereal with mixed fruit plate; both with a muffin or croissant.

We pushed back about 20 minutes late for no obvious reason. While heading out to the runway I saw another Korean Air A380 which had just landed, and the Cathay Pacific 777 I'd arrived on was departing - we followed it to the runway although went into a bay to let a Copa 737(?) past. I also saw 3 LAN aircraft which surprised me. Perhaps they had some extra flights for the season?

A watched a movie and dozed. Read a little. Chilled out.

We had good views of Hispaniola during descent - it was a nice day with scattered small cumulus creating shadows and a neat white and grey pattern as if a wallpaper were draped over the land. We flew past the city and turned 180 degrees out at sea to land from the south. We had a short wait to pull into the gate and while we were standing by an American Eagle flight from San Juan landed as did a 757 American Airlines flight from Miami.