FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Centric (Escala Lodge) Park City UT REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Dec 27, 2011, 4:40 pm
flyingMouseMan

Programs: Marriott, Delta, UAL, Hyatt
I am a Diamond Hyatt member. In November I had a one day meeting in Park City with my publisher. I had planned on staying in Salt Lake City. On the way up to PC I spotted this Hyatt property and stopped by to see if they had room.

The lobby was sparse and the restaurant/bar area was unfinished. I spoke with the front desk and asked about a room. I was told that only suites were available and was quoted a price -- a bit high but OK. While waiting I checked on line and found that there were non suites available and asked... The young lady quickly looked and found that 'oh, you are right, there are several standard rooms available'. I said, Ok.... I will have one of those.

She said fine and started the reservation process. When I asked why I was being charged a resort fee, she said all rooms paid.
I asked what was included..
Ski storage -- I was on a business trip; no skiing
Breakfast -- No restaurant
Free Valet Parking -- I had no car; my publisher's assistant would be driving.
etc...

To make a long story short, when I spoke to the front desk manager I recounted that I did not intend to avail myself of any of the resort facilities -- Just wanted to have a place to sleep. I was told that the fee was not negotiable. And in fact, all the premium properties in Park City area had gotten together and agreed to make the fee non negotiable. -- Hmm.... all got together to establish a pricing policy among competitors

1. I decided to stay elsewhere
2. This really turned me off for anything to do with this property
3. I believe that this agreement is in fact a variety of price fixing and is in restraint of trade.

------
Subsequently, I discovered a seatmate on a flight out of SLC had encountered the same problem at the same property.