FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hm. So even a GM on an award ticket can trump a 1k for upgrade
Old Dec 25, 2011, 8:52 am
mherdeg

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I don't mind that they sell upgrades. My biggest issue will be the fact that they do not offer the upsell to passengers already on the wait list for an upgrade. I foresee this becoming a very contentious issue.

UA would do themselves a big favor if they explained their rational for excluding elites from these offers. People around here are going to get crazy, perhaps including myself.

It's kind of pathetic, a pinch infuriating, and leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the brand, but I would like to understand.
On flights where elites comprise 1/3-1/2 of the pax, what exactly would be the effect of showing elites a check-in message saying "There are currently 63 people on the upgrade waitlist. Bypass the list by paying $225 to confirm a first-class seat"?
  1. Passengers would be happy to see the transparency. "Oh, that is a tempting offer, I am glad they are showing it to me and not just my non-status companions. I realize that I should prepare myself for a flight in coach and am grateful for the opportunity to enjoy Channel 9 and Economy Plus seats."
  2. Elite passengers would buy fewer UA trips. "Oh dear, I am not going to get upgraded. I should have chosen Virgin America. I will give them revenue next time."
  3. Elite passengers would buy the upsell. "This is wonderful! I will buy it and United will get even more revenue, hooray!"

Would you prefer "There are currently 63 people on the upgrade waitlist. Bypass the list by removing your frequent-flyer number from this reservation, then returning to this page to pay $225 to confirm a first-class seat, then adding your number to the reservation again"? That would require less change while remaining totally honest.