FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}
Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:23 am
Notenut

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LeedsSimon
Hi,
First post on here and just after some advice. I'm HHonors Gold & booked in W=A NYC in March 2012 as a surprise for my wife's 40th B/day. Managed to get a Good Advance Purchase deal and have booked an Astor Suite.
Last Week HH contacted me to say I can upgrade at a discounted rate to a better room and I don't know what to do as was hoping I might get Comp Upgrade when we arrive as I've always done well with upgrades. Spoke with Reservations at W=A to tell them this is a surprise gift for my wife and they said there's nothing on my record to indicate this and as its Advance Purchase they can't add details, which I found odd. Any suggestions please. Is it worth paying extra now or should I hold out in case I might get an upgrade ?

Thanks Simon
In the past I have been told by the Diamond desk people there at the hotel that is not at all uncommon for then to have 150-200 Diamond members staying there on any given night. So chance of an upgrade for a Gold member would be scarce, IMO. If the upgrade is that important for the occasion I would pay for it.