FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ben Schlappig - miles/mattress running.
View Single Post
Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:33 pm
rayonline

Programs: Asiana Silver (2012), AirNZ Jade
Much thanks for that

In terms of crediting mileage for discounted tickets:
Generally speaking, is this an exception with UA? Or does the airline normally do this with their own FF programme?

Secondly, that Ben guy said he hunts for $250US tickets travelling East to West. I am not from the US, so just talking hypothetically here - would not $250US be a waste of money to simply travel to rack up points and not enjoy the travel experience and I guess one cannot do that unless you are well off with the accom expenses and living costs too often. He says 7,500miles travelled. That's not a huge amount right and that UA has decreased the 100% bonus to 50% I think for 2012.

Edit. Yah. I am from New Zealand so I generally use Asian carriers unless I am heading to or thru the USA. And b/c the seldom nature I probably just wouldn't belong with a USA FF programme. Coming from that point of view, it was news to me that USA cheap flights gets 100% points. Even a AirNZ programme with AirNZ - the really discounted seats even for INTL gets absolutely "zero" points but do get minor status points.

Last edited by rayonline; Dec 20, 2011 at 2:46 pm