FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EK to install wifi on A380
View Single Post
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:35 am
SingaporeJoe

Programs: AY Platinum, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If customs want access to contents of a computer before entering country they could require it anyway, confidential data on it or otherwise

Noone should use public networks if paranoid on security ; beyond that , if a company has policies , then follow those policies if choosing to use company assets on any public network
I do not disagree with you, Dave. Being someone who eats and breaths and sleeps security [and is paranoid about it], I merely wanted to point out that the risks of using a plane WiFi may be different from the risks of using land based public WiFi. And the corporate policies that apply to public WiFi may not be sufficient to address plane WiFi.

When traveling to certain countries, I do not take with me any files that I do NOT work on at that trip. I also leave behind PGP keys and wipe clean the hard disk for any residual info so that I can not be made to release the keys to officials. However, I do need various other crypto keys so that I can access email.

I use a non-caching email client which in a public WiFi [read: anything untrusted, whether encrypted or not] sufficiently protects the email from eavesdropping. In a plane WiFi access the threat agents become different [i.e. the types that can force me to release the keys] and the protection offered by the client would not be sufficient. There are countries out there who are very aggressive in acquiring intellectual property.