FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:50 am
steve32

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
Pro-active as in will AA book you on DL before JFK-ORD is cancelled? No. I doubt it. EXP desk even told me (but others' mileage will vary) that they don't "protect" in advance anymore -- even EXPs. But AA may book you on DL after your flight is cancelled -- if you ask nicely , even though you are on a mileage ticket. I imagine that YMMV on that one and first they'd probably tell you to get over to LGA for one of those flights . An AA agent told me that they would rebook my status-less relatives traveling on award tickets* without me, if necessary but we didn't actually have to go for that option so I don't have a real world test to see if it would really work.

But you may be worrying about something that won't even have a chance --If AA cancels NYC-ORD due to WX, DL might cancel theirs as well.

* Yes, I'm friends' and family's local, unpaid travel agent!
When I was flying an MR to Gatwick, coming back I was flagged by AA staff while I was still waiting in Immigration line, that my next flight would arrive late (routing was DCA-DFW-STL-RDU-LGW-RDU-MIA-DCA => see, an MR indeed ) so that I would miss a connection on the last flight that night MIA-DCA, so they were re-booking me direct to DCA on United so I would still arrive that evening (in fact slightly ahead of schedule).

And I had no problem calling up Customer Service later and getting Original Routing Credit. I was a little disappointed that I wasn't going to visit MIA (for the first time), adding a new airport and routes to my FlightMemory, nor making a new record in number of segments in an MR (with 24 hour layover in London) -- my longest was a 13-segment oneworld award: DCA-ORD-YYZ-LHR-NRT-HKG-SYD-MEL-SYD-CHC-ZQN-AKL-LAX-IAD spread across 33 days!)

Steve32