FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:12 pm
dcAA

Originally Posted by AC888
Perfect timing! Currently, I am US/Canada-based and am *G with AC. I also have AA status because my employer participates in the AAirpass program. Starting mid-next year, I will be moving to HK for at least 1 year (but maybe longer). I'm wondering whether I should switch my OW FFP to CX starting Jan 1, 2012.

1) What is your home airport?
Reply: Will become HKG (currently EWR & YOW).
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class?
Reply: Flew ~95k miles in 2011, mostly with *A. Expect to fly ~70k miles in 2012, and would like allocate half of that to *A to retain *G status with AC.
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Reply: Ex-US work travel (approx. ~45k in 2011) is in Business. The rest in Economy.
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or, class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Some (but not complete) flexibility in airline choice when work-related.
(5) Which routes do you fly most often?
Reply: Mostly within Asia with some transpacific travel after my move.
(6) Do you have FFP status of any kind of OW or other airline at present?
Reply: AA Gold (through AAirpass) and AC Elite.
(7) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Reply: Lounge access and priority services.
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: CX in OW; AC in *A.
If maintaining AC status, you are not going to be able to get CX gold (Oneworld Saphire = lounge access) which requires you to allocate 60,000 miles to CX (transpac in J mulitplied by 1.25). However, you would be able to earn CX Silver @ 30,000 which allows lounge access for CX flights.

If your intra-asia economy travel is in full-fare Y, you should be able to maintain AC Elite, while earning AA PLT which earns you Oneworld Saphire.

Personally, I would pour all my miles into CX or AA (if flying full economy for Asian flights, you should be able to make EXP on EQPs--Y/B and higher fares = 1.5 EQP/mile flown). CX gold will get much better recognition on CX flights than an AA EXP though.