FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China Master Transportation Thread
View Single Post
Old Dec 9, 2011, 6:07 pm
jiejie

Programs: various
Originally Posted by moondog
As most of the regulars in this forum know, I've been a staunch supporter of rickshaws and other 黑车 ever since I started that "Are BJ taxis on strike?" thread. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I advised the other ambassadors to devote a section to the OP of this post to such. IIRC, I was rebuffed on the grounds that simply mentioning this idea could put FTers at risk of being ripped off.

But, the thing is, battling with 15 other parties near "The Place" in -12 degree conditions kind of sucks, and I can afford to pay $4 for a service that should cost $2 (it is very cold in Beijing this week).
Pedicab/rickshaws: On a per meter basis, they are probably one of the more expensive forms of transport, which given the situation (like waiting in the cold for a non-existant alternative), may not be an issue. However, as a form of mass transport, they are really not too useful as their practical distance/range is limited to a relatively short distance from their "base area." Nearly all pedicabs will work within a circumscribed area and as long as you need to journey within that area (usually not more than 1-2 km), they are a realistic option. Just get agreement on price before getting in the seat.

Hei Che (Illegal Taxis, Private Cars offering for-fee rides): I still feel these are best left to people who can speak Mandarin and who know where they are going and what they are doing. Most of us already know if we fit in that category. But too much opportunity for serious rip-offs and other mischief to recommend this to rookie visitors.

Originally Posted by mosburger
I regularly use a few quieter bus lines in the Yangtze Delta cities where I know passengers are few and riding on them allows me to sidestep the long taxi queues at major railway stations. However, the tendency of some Chinese passengers to use buses while obviously and visibly sick plus the sardine can-like overcrowding is putting me off from most of them.

As for the pedicabs, will not use them for safety reasons. Have seen too many traffic accidents where they were one of the culprits.

Waiting for all those new subway lines to open in many second tier cities...
1) Yes, in many cities, not all bus lines are crowded. And if your travel pattern lets you make use of those lines, a plus. Some bus lines are only crowded during rush hours, so using buses at non-peak times might also work if you have flexible timing.

2) I agree about the sick passengers, you get this on subway also, but the very poor (and likely to have more serious illness like TB) generally stick to the buses where both options exist, due to lower price. In fact, I recommend that visitors with conditions that make it adviseable to stay out of crowds (such as compromised immunity), should stick to taxis and private cars.

3) I think pedicab safety depends on where you are. In Beijing, most of the areas the pedicabs haunt have either little motorized traffic or have the bicycle lanes which do offer some segregation. And in these areas, traffic is moving slowly due to congestion so accidents are not a huge concern. May not be the case in all cities though. And for those of us that routinely ride our own bicycles on city streets, pedicab safety is a relative concept.

4) Agree on subway. Though living with the current pain and disruption of construction, both locals and visitors could really use some new, inexpensive options in places like Hangzhou, Kunming, etc. And in Beijing, when long-anticipated Line 6 opens, it should take a lot of pressure off overburdened Line 1.

Last edited by jiejie; Dec 9, 2011 at 6:14 pm