FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK: Hugely detrimental changes to Platinum travel insurance from January 25, 2012
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:10 am
Olly-

Exclamation UK: Hugely detrimental changes to Platinum travel insurance from January 25, 2012

Apologies if somebody else has started a thread about this already - I did have a look but couldn't see one. I received a letter this morning detailing changes to the travel insurance included with the Platinum card. They're massively devaluing the benefit - to get cover for certain events you must have paid using either your Platinum card or another card issued by American Express directly - very irritating if you have a no-forex fee card and book flights/hotels in a foreign currency for example. The maximum trip length has been cut to 90 days and the maximum age for medical cover is now 70. They have also introduced a £50 excess.

It also means that giving members of your family cards to give them travel insurance will be a nightmare as they will have to buy the travel on the card to be covered and then reimburse you - a real pain.

For people who haven't received the letter yet I have quickly scanned mine so you can see the changes for yourself:

I have telephoned and lodged a complaint - I really don't think the card is worth the £300 a year any more.