FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Warning about winter highway driving in BC
Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:13 pm
YVR Cockroach
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Until the past 10-15 years, I don't thi8nk anyone considered windshields to be regularly-replaceed items windshield wipers and tires. I guess it is another downloaded cost.

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
With all the modern alternatives to glass, will windshields always remain a certain type of glass?
Glass is glass for the most part though there are some new types. Glass is hard and relatively scratch/abrasion-resistant (i.e., scratch resistant) but is unfortunately brittle so prone to chipping which leads to cracks.

Do space vehicles have glass windows? Seems like cars should be made with the cheap standard option and then alternatives for vehicles taken to challenging environments.
Space vehicles do have glass, All a.re one use (like the Russian man craft and are not particularly necessary) with the exception of the now-defuinct space shuttle, probably replaced every mission.

Another thought. Aren't there screens that can be mounted on the front of hoods to catch heavy projectiles before they can get to the windshield?

Those are bug deflectors and I doubt they'll affect the direction and path of objects such as gravel.

I know there is the popular "bra" which protects the paint job on the front of a vehicle. Seems to me something to protect the glass would be equally valuable.
No]thing out there. If you invent it, it's the proverbial; better- mousetrap.

Long and short of it, avoid driving B.C. highways from winter well into late spring unless you're driving a beater. My wife and I certainly wouldn't except for estate matters. She's driven between Vancouver and Kelowna at least 4x yearly for 30 years and has noted the deterioration of winter road maintenance in the last 15 years.