FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 10 day (9 nights) trip to Alaska - May 2012
Old Dec 6, 2011, 7:42 am
Xformers

Originally Posted by jackal
As mentioned above, welcome to FT!

I'm an ambitious traveler, and even I must admit your itinerary looks a touch ambitious.

I drove (albeit with a large group of people--10 in a 12-passenger van) from Valdez to Anchorage after taking the ferry to Valdez the day before. We left Valdez at a reasonably early hour (9am, give or take) and didn't get back to Anchorage until after 8pm. Yes, the drive can be done as a marathon in 5 hours, but that leaves absolutely no time to enjoy the scenery along the way, stop and eat, or anything else. Anchorage to Valdez to Kenny Lake in one long day is very ambitious. Stop in Valdez overnight and enjoy the area rather than making a brief pit stop before turning back around and going back north.

It's also ambitious to expect to do Kennecott/McCarthy as a round-trip in a single day followed by driving all the way to Fairbanks. McCarthy is a good six-hour round-trip drive (yes, it's not a long way in mileage, but 30mph is generous for that road), not to mention the time you'd spend visiting Kennecott/McCarthy itself (plan to spend at least a couple of hours milling around the mine ruins--it's not worth driving all the way out there not to do that, since the scenery will seem bland after passing through Thompson Pass). Plus, your rental car agency is guaranteed to prohibit you from driving to McCarthy--and for good reason; I had to replace all of my shock absorbers after my trip out there many years ago. I know many friends who have bought new windshields after driving out there, and one friend with a lifted four-wheel-drive truck with super-heavy-duty tires ended up getting stuck because he got not one but two railroad spike punctures. Add in that you're doing this in muddy May, and I'd definitely recommend against it. Stick to the paved, maintained roads.

I'd skip Kennecott/McCarthy and just go straight to Fairbanks.

If you skip Denali due to Gardyloo's salient advice, I'd stay a night at Chena Hot Springs. Be sure to hit the University of Alaska Fairbanks Museum of the North. Way better than the ice museum. UAF is also home to some very interesting geophysical science research projects and a major supercomputer processing center; if you have time to check out some of their goings-on, it's a fun diversion. See http://www.uaf.edu/visituaf/ and http://www.uaf.edu/summer/visitor-in.../campus-tours/
Hello jackal,

Thanks for the inputs. My wife & I are ambitious and adventurous travellers and love the wilderness. Thats why I would like to do more adventurous things and less touristy things!

My itinerary is preliminary and I agree with you "ambitious". It would be great if you could help me out with a few things :

a) I know Anchorage - Valdez is a marathon 5 hr drive or as I had thought a 7-8 hr drive with stops. If I leave early (around 7.30-8 AM), do you think I can make it to Valdez by 3, giving me enough time for stops and scenery? Since its only me & my wife, IMHO I think we would take less time than a group of 10.

b) What are the things to do in Valdez? I have read conflicting things where some people enjoy the place calling it "Little Switzerland" whereas others say there's not much to do since they closed the pipeline accessibility (except for tours) post 9/11.

c) I am taking a tour to McCarthy/Kennicott and they start from Kenny Lake at 6.45 AM. Thats my reason for going to Kenny Lake from Valdez the previous night. Unsure whether I should take the 8.5 hr or 12.5 hr tour - depends on whether I decide to stay back in Kenny Lake or drive to Fairbanks that night. The tour description says I get abt 2 hrs in Kennicott area - will that be enough?

d) Big Boss wants to see Ice Museum. We are from Houston and the only ice we see is in the refrigerator...

Supercomputers & stuff.... very interesting. Unfortunately, their tours dont start until late May, so wont be able to go there. As I mentioned in my reply to Gladyroo, I am taking advantage of the shoulder season deals and tour companies are also ready to offer further discounts... which makes me think that not many people visit AK during this time (definitely a plus) ! I thought of moving the dates to early June but the cost goes up significantly and I strongly believe airtickets & lodging is waste of money... Being nature lovers, we hardly spend any time in the lodge anyways.

Sorry to come up with so many questions, but if this is going to be my only shot at AK, I'd make it a trip worth remembering.

Regards,
N

Last edited by Xformers; Dec 6, 2011 at 7:58 am Reason: Got confused with the museum stuff (d)