FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)
Old Dec 5, 2011, 9:39 pm
sp23

Yes, you're quite right- it's 45000 only to BNE. I've actually used my 5x multiplier on other categories (HSBC credit card) and I don't have the Fubon one, so I'll be using Shacomm visa or DBS Black.

Would you be so kind to run through your calculations? How did you get to 5.2% rebate? And the clean 3.5% earning over cash? Sorry I'm a bit slow... Havent done so much maths for a while

Originally Posted by percysmith
Isn't BNE 45,000 miles? Therefore nominal value per mile is 7,000/45,000 = $0.156?

If you can earn them overseas at $3/mile (assuming Fubon Plat, HSBC with a 5X multiplier can earn them even better at $2.78/mile), you are getting a rebate rate of 5.2% for overseas spending.

Your JPY credit card premium over cash is not more than 1.57% with Visa, you earn a clean 3.5% over spending cash.

(kaka - if AE, from memory I remember it's something like 0.94% over HKAB rate for Amex. But the earn rate for a non-SCB AE cardholder is $4/mile at most with the DBS Black which menas the advantage of using card over cash is 2.96%).