FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - is 1k-status really worth all that more than platinum?....
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:30 am
johnmont

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
I find 1K something I definitely want to obtain during the year, especially when it comes to IRROPS (irregular operations/delays). For me, being one of the first to make it on the next flight and to have better access to information (via the 1K line) makes it so worth while. Even when I do something stupid like sleep through my alarm due to a Chicago 4am bender...getting on the next flight is so easy (when I probably shouldn't be )

I'm not doing a lot of short flights and no mileage runs, with generally three flights to Europe, two down under, and one to Asia each year. That mixed in with quite a few ORD->LAX generally gives me around 115K.

I've been surprised with the number of times I clear UDU -- I hardly ever sit in Economy any more. I even made a last minute standby on an LGA->ORD flight the other day and then on my way down the ramp got upgraded to the only available seat in front (interestingly from the middle seat in the back row). That was a shocker. I find getting domestic UDU from ORD to be easy. However, Asia runs on SWU seem to be getting harder and harder to get and I'm pondering not spending the extra $$ for an upgradeable fare.

Without a doubt 1K makes travel easier and less stressful, even with some of the changes in the program (perceived and real).