FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The definitive "Where can I leave my bags in NYC?" thread
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:58 pm
GoingAway
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by embla
Hi all, I was wondering if you could help me figure out where to leave my luggage. I'll be checking out of my hotel on Mon, Dec 26th, but I have a lunch meeting two blocks away at noon that I certainly can't take my luggage to. I'll try to request a late check out but if that doesn't work out, where should I store my luggage? I do have an amtrak res for later that evening - is this valid for storing my luggage at Penn Station?

Also, I'll take the amtrak back to nyc on the 30th at 9:30am, and I have another noon lunch meeting. Would I still be able to store my luggage at Penn?

How safe is it to leave luggage with Amtrak or hotels? I'll of course be keeping my money and IDs with me but I'll have to leave my dslr and laptop in my luggage when I go to my meetings. Would this be okay?
Leaving electronics is never recommended, when i have had no choice i don't use a laptop bag or briefcase where its obvious there is a laptop inside. Instead, i put the laptop into the luggage so its not as obvious, and use rail ties that are clipped, so i can tell pretty quickly if its been messed with (notwithstanding the zipper trick which is always a possibility)

Is there a reason, you could not take a briefcase to the biz lunch? Not ideal, but is it impossible?