FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One more thing: TB Term Limits
View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:39 am
Dovster
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Volunteers are the backbone of FlyerTalk.. and much of the valuable information presented has no profit tied to it, even though FlyerTalk is a paid advertised website.
I strongly disagree. Volunteers (be they mods or TB members) would be of absolutely no value if it were not for the thousands of members who post on a regular basis. They are the ones who provide FT's worth and are its real backbone.

Moreover, the posts they make do, indeed, have profit tied to them. They are to FT what tourist sites are to Venice -- without them, nobody would come and IB would have an empty "city" and no profits at all.

That being said, I would be the last to deny that mods do, in fact, work and should be paid for their labor. In fact, I will get just about everybody upset by making the following statements:

1. By working for free, the mods are cheapening themselves. They are, in essence, saying, "I don't get any money and that is exactly what I am worth."

2. When you and I subject our writing to the scrutiny, review, and possibly disciplinary action of unpaid volunteers, we are saying that what we post is not valuable enough to warrant handling by professionals.

3. When IB does not pay moderators, it is announcing that it does not care enough about the content of FT to pay the cost of having impartial professionals determine its quality.