FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "M'am, you have to do what I tell you to do." My experience at ORD
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:49 am
cardiomd

Programs: Star Gold
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Not to turn this into OMNI/PR (where it's already been done to death), but loaded firearms have no place on airliners IMO. That includes the flight deck.
Exactly. I wouldn't also want pepper spray on the plane (see the holiday shopping / walmart incident) or anything that has an easy temptation to be used by some person who wants to play hero. Some people launch into an emotional tirade as soon as guns are mentioned, acting like it is some right to glue them to their person, or any common sense restrictions means you are a communist.

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I read the article referenced and could find nothing about a CCP holder.
Please cite a reference that we are as dangerous as the general population, if one exists.
Has nothing to do with the claims I made. Also what is with this "we" stuff? Filling out a form does not make you in some sort of club, or a different type of person. Regardless of the person currently holding it, having a gun on a plane has a potential to escalate a conflict if it is ever shown or used.

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I understand your position. It is a fair one, reasonably presented. I would contend that it is not the weapon that is dangerous, but the heart and thoughts of the person possessing it. The correction for that problem involves techniques that are far outside the capabilities and authority of the THS and DHS and prohibiting weapons on board is a reasonable compromise.
Exactly. Same reason I wouldn't want nunchucks or a samurai sword on a plane, see above. Just check it so the temptation is not there. It shows poor understanding of human nature if you think having weapons on a plane would lead to increased safety. It would not. Doesn't mean I want to ban weapons. They just have no role on a tightly confined plane.