FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Warning about winter highway driving in BC
Old Dec 2, 2011, 7:59 am
taupo

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
I do a tremendous amount of winter driving in BC, 6,000+-km per month. Mostly back and forth on the Coquihalla and the Connector.

As the OP mentions, MoTH and their contractors are using more gravel this year. Sand works well when first applied but dissapears very quickly.
My goal is to only buy one windshield a year, current one has eight rock chips, one small crack and lots of sandblasting. Crack is down low and off to the right, none of the rock chips are in field of vision.

Many drivers are ill prepared for winter driving in BC. I have stopped at so many accidents and incidents and am blown away by the amount of poor tyres, lack of warm clothing and a little food.

If any uniniatated are reading this please pay heed to not embark on these highways in winter unless you are a confident and capable driver, your vehicle is well equipped and provisioned.