View Single Post
Old Dec 2, 2011, 7:26 am
Dovster
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Off-topic:

(snip)

On a dif note - given that FT is growing, I thought IB giving $5 Starbucks gift cards to the mods rather than $10 was a bit chintzy.
Frankly, IMHO, it is rather ridiculous for anyone to donate his time to a profit-making corporation. I am certain, of course, that Macy's would love to have volunteer sales help (especially in December), Delta would greatly appreciate having a few hundred people work as FAs for free, and McDonald's would like nothing better than for folks from the neighborhood to clean up each evening.

In fact, these companies wouldn't even complain about giving $25 Starbucks Gift Cards.

I am a mod on a non-travel related forum, run by a business which is smaller than IB, and which has traffic that compares in posting to about the level of the Religious Travel Forum. I am paid $500 a month and have been assured that if the forum ever really takes off my pay will be increased proportionately.

I really could understand it back when Randy owned FT. He was considered a friend by many posters and the forum was not seen (very possibly incorrectly) as a business venture.

Today, it is a completely different story.

Still, if for ego-building, power-tripping, or any other reason people want to give a corporation their labor for free, that is their own decision. It is simply not one I would take.