FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airpoints Most Devalued Program Award
View Single Post
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:13 am
ajnz

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
That's why I think the logic of "earn to fly" is so wrong. That effectively dismisses the need for a loyalty program. The only currency now is NZD. For the same reason, for customers who would pay a premium to fly NZ and hope to earn some Airpoints would now just pick another airline with cheaper fares and still earn miles with that airline. That's why NZ long haul is always loss making because they have competition. Almost all long haul carriers have a great FFP to entice and retain customers. Unlike domestic market, NZ can do whatever they want. This perhaps proves again NZ is moving to a true LCC. Just such a shame for all the wonderful crew NZ have.
I agree completely. I think Air New Zealand has lost sight of their core business, and in particular, how to attract and retain revenue in that business. The loyalty(?) program completely reflects that at this point.
Originally Posted by Reason077
This does sound absurd. Are you saying that points can be purchased on a $1 = 1 APD basis, and there is no limit to the amount that can be purchased? When was this announced?
You must have missed the rather large thread about the new OneSmart MasterCard that Air New Zealand have launched, which allegedly allows the purchase of APD on a $1:1 ratio.

I say allegedly because I have not seen it written in the literature that $1:1 is indeed possible, it is merely implied. Some posters on that thread do claim that $1:1 is correct.

Originally Posted by Reason077
This not only devalues Air Points, but potentially harms NZ's core revenues as well. Customers will try to use upgrades rather than purchase premium tickets on lightly-loaded flights.
No kidding.