FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Ink [Master thread]
View Single Post
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:17 am
leonard016

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
The benefits of the new Ink Bold ($95/year) over Ink Classic ($0) are:

1. Two premium UR redemption features: 1.25 cent per point if redeemed for travel via UR or 1:1 transfer into UA/BA/KE/Hyatt etc. If you already have Sapphire Preferred or JP Morgan Select, this is not a real benefit since as discussed before you can pool all your UR points together.

2. No forex fees. Well, Sapphire P and JPM Select also have $0 forex fees.

3. 50K spending cap to earn 5x or 2x bonus versus 25K

4. Priority Pass with two free entries ($99 for entry level membership and $27 for each visit). The old Ink Bold and Ink Classic have this benefit just for the first year. Now this is for every year for Ink Bold and Chase has removed Priority Pass all together from Ink Classic to make Ink Bold looks more prestigious I suppose. However, you can get the entry level Priority Pass ($99) for free from say Hilton Amex ($0 annual fee). Of course you can get prestige Priority Pass with unlimited access from many cards like Amex Platinum, Ameriprise WEMC ($150/year).

My conclusion is that if one has Sapphire P or JPM Select already, there is little reason to pay $95 annual fee for Ink Bold since Ink Classic will serve as well. That is why the old Ink Bold and Classic combo is great while the new Ink Bold is disappointing to me.