FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA remark about Flyertalk in CO/United area @ DTW
Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:08 am
dan1431

IMHO and I comfortable saying this, the most vitriolic, outspoken posters on this board, may hate the TSA, but would never want a tragedy to occur here in the USA nor anyplace on earth.

I firmly believe that I do not have to like the TSA (as an agency or specific people in the agency) nor do I have to like their policies and procedures as long as I follow them when passing through their domain (the airport).

Recently, I had an employee start yelling at me because I had forgotten to take off my shoes and he did not catch it till after I had started collecting my bags. Clearly, it was my fault for forgetting to take off my shoes and I apologized on the spot asking how I could remedy the situation, but kindly requesting (at the same time) that he stop yelling at me as I made an innocent mistake and there was no malicious intent involved.

He continued to yell at me, and that is the part I do not like, we are human we make mistakes and for the man to keep yelling at me when I openly apologized and asked about a remedy was imho out of line and one of the reason for my distaste of the TSA.

Clearly, the dude was on a power trip (something that the agency as a whole seems to breed) and wanted to exercise his authority, even though I was not trying to question nor usurp his authority at any time, so why yell?

There are policies I do not like because I believe that they are useless, do nothing for security as they are simply window dressing or because IMHO they violate my rights as a U.S. citizen, but I do not argue (though I probably should as that is a right of a being a U.S. citizen) as I do not want to annoy, molest, bother the TSA because as I have said many times they can make my life more miserable than I can make theirs.

My point is simple, the TSA does not give us many reasons to like them, but they are what is there and as long as I want to fly (somewhat peacefully) I will follow their employees instructions, the agencies policies and procedures to the T (as best I can), but I do not have to like their employees nor their policies and procedures.

Dan