FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should USA card issuers adopt EMV (Chip & PIN)? [Opinion discussion]
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:34 pm
percysmith
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by jamar
Yep. This is why I like the table-side terminals and why I am fully prepared to go to another country to get an EMV card.
EMV? Definitely. PIN (remember PIN and EMV does not have to be bundled - see HK Visa/MC cards for instance) - I have my doubts.

One case in point that will be dear to your heart will be DCC. Under current chip and sign, I see a slip with DCC, I still have an opportunity to not sign and force merchant to void slip.

I worry with Chip and PIN, the non-compliant DCC terminals will display RMBxxx.xx in big characters, then print the DCC verbage *after* you've keyed in the PIN. The waiter will probably have vanished into thin air and I'll have a much harder time voiding that slip (even though it will be possible).

Of course I acknowledge there's some economy not having to store signed slips under Chip and PIN for local transactions, if I trust the technology. So far I do, but I can't go back to signature on the day it is not.

Furthermore, merchants and banks benefit but I don't - why should I help them http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/e...-PIN-safe.html ? Chip and PIN cards better come with great rebate benefits before I decide it's worth my risk.