FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - iPad and notebook STOLEN out of checked luggage.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:22 pm
nicnac16

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Taping $1000 to the outside luggage is different than stowing items in a closed private bag. I would expect all transportation professionals, whether they be Virgin baggage handlers or TSA, that are entrusted with the luggage to not commit robbery.

Yes, had I known she was planning on putting an iPad in her checked luggage I would've strongly advised against it, but an expensive electronic item being relatively easily available to steal to a small group of transportation professionals IS NO EXCUSE TO STEAL IT. Period.
I don't think anyone here is excusing the behavior, of course it is not ok to steal from someone's luggage. But a little bit of common sense is to be expected. I did once put a portable DVD player in my checked bag, but I did so knowing full well there was a good chance it wasn't going to be there on the other end. It's a couple years old and probably wasn't worth anyone's time to steal so it was still in the bag, but I would never put anything I considered valuable in there.