FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What SIM card to get for India?
View Single Post
Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:19 pm
Yaatri
Suspended

Originally Posted by ggcuriousme
Hello my friends,
I am from Kathmandu and during this winter I am going to India on our college trip.we will be there for 2 months Jan and Feb.I am a teenager and my family is very worried for me. I have been thinking of using an Indian Sim card, it would be easier to contact my family and some of my relatives in there.Thus, i am looking for an easy to buy, easy to connect,with fast and reliable network9 if possible cheap or tourist oriented sort of) sim card.Please friends give me some suggestions.
Originally Posted by Keyser
all cell phone companies in india offer pre-paid sims that can be used for 2 months....they all offer similar rates & are pretty easy to get....all you need is your passport copy & a couple of photographs....
While it's generally true that most companies offer similar service at comparable costs, there are differences that can make some SIM's completely useless. My Vodaphone SIM had expired and got iDEA this time and wish I had not.

I ended up going to Badrinath and found that, iDEA did not offer service in Badrinath. NO SERVICE at all. BSNL worked as did Vodaphone and Airtel (I think). If you are going to be travelling to remote areas, it might be best to check around before you buy a SIM, or else, you might get stuck with a useless piece of plastic.