FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GrooVe IP - Android App for Google Voice via 3G/4G & WiFi
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:36 pm
tripr

Originally Posted by Flahusky
HOWEVER providing my google log on info. to some one/app in the wake of recent droidream malware has stopped me dead in my tracks.
Google is less trustworthy than third parties. I actually make it a point to avoid Google apps whenever because they contain spyware. Google collects all kinds of data needlessly. Google has been capturing peoples unique IMEI numbers and adding it to their database (so if you want to create multiple accounts to keep your mountain of data split up and disassociated, Google's spyware gets around it). Third party apps like Groove IP only need to transmit the data required by google's API, which is less than the amount of data Google's own apps help themselves to.

The problem with Groove IP is it's as closed source as Google's apps. However, Google is mastering ways to turn personal data into profit for them. They even drove around grabbing peoples wifi traffic, and stored it in a database. At least we know that Groove IP is not on the same scale of data collection as google.