FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions
Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:47 am
Global_Hi_Flyer

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Correction: EXP members might have access to expanded availability when calling the EXP Desk. Certainly not guaranteed, nor, IME, even all that likely on a regular basis. I think this has become a somewhat empty promise/claim in the EXP membership packet.

The last dozen times I've called in (over the last couple of years, different routes) requesting the EXP agent to find an extra A, C, U, or Z seat, I have been told "sorry, we can't do that anymore" or "we don't have access to anything more than what you can see online."

Oh well. So much for that benefit.
I don't think I'd call it "empty".

Incident the other night with an itinerary that I planned to buy using gift cards and an evoucher. Made the reservation, then called to snag the single C seat that was showing in EF. Plan was to go ahead and ticket after the upgrade were in place. Phone agent told me that there was no way for her (or any phone agent) to use evouchers & gift cards over the phone - the ticketing had to be done online - and once the upgrade were applied, there would be no way to ticket online. (While I suspect inaccuracy on the part of the EXP Aagent, it was far more convenient to do online with 3 gift cards & a voucher). I pointed out my concern that there was only one seat for upgrade inventory, and she said "no, there are multiple seats available on each flight. If you ticket now, there should not be a problem at all".

SO EF's inventory did not match what was showing in her system for an EXP customer.

End result: I ticketed online, the ticket issued in 30 miinutes, and I got the desired seat.