FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]
View Single Post
Old Nov 17, 2011, 3:08 pm
wxguy

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Recently I had a one-night stay at a FFI in a large city – a hotel I've stayed at a number of times with excellent service. I checked in rather late, but had a cordial conversation with the check-in agent. He recognized me as a return guest (but never said "Platinum") and offered me a room upgrade (larger room, better view as this is a tower-style hotel). When I got to my room, I realized he didn't ask me my choice of arrival gift, nor give me the usual bag with two bottles of water and chips (which I usually get without asking in addition to the 200 points that I always take).

The next morning I had the complimentary breakfast and went to check out. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Good morning, before I check out, I'd like to let you know that I did not receive my choice of points nor amenity when checking in last evening. I believe I'm due $25 per the Marriott Rewards guarantee.

Agent: Let me check (types) – I see you were given the points.

Me: But I was never asked, and that's what was supposed to happen.

Agent: I'd be happy to give you an amenity bag now.

Me: I just had breakfast, I'm heading to a meeting, and then a lunch. I don't need a bottle of water and chips. I would like to receive the Marriott-promised guarantee.

Agent: But you received the points.

Me: I understand that, but I wasn't asked.

Agent: I'll leave a note for the General Manager and he'll contact you by phone or email.

Me: (Pulling out and showing her my print-out copy of the rules) As you can see, the Marriott program requires that this be resolved before I check out, or I lose my rights to the compensation.

Agent: I don't know what to do, I can't just give you money.

Me: I'll call Marriott Rewards and ask their guidance. (I call, explain, and am put on hold for 15 minutes with the agent coming on every few minutes saying she's waiting for her supervisor to give guidance. In the meantime, the GM arrives and the agent introduces me to him. I go through the whole story, and he too does not know the rules and refuses to give me the compensation saying I should deal with MR. Finally, the MR agent comes back on the line.)

MR: wxguy, if you were not asked, you are entitled to the $25. The fact that points were posted without your being asked is irrelevant.

Me: Would you explain that to the GM?

MR: Certainly, my pleasure (I pass my cell phone to him. A minute later he hands it back along with $25.)

GM: I asked MR to email me a copy of this procedure because I've never heard of it.

Me: Thank you, see you back here on my next stay in a few weeks. I appreciate your working with me and MR on this.

This is only the second time that I've invoked the arrival gift guarantee. The first time the hotel (a FS, so $100) quickly acknowledged the mistake and paid the compensation. But it's disappointing to see that some hotels still don't know the details of the program. Kudos to MR for taking charge and educating the GM in this case.