FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Collective Complaints, Rants and Gripes Thread about Avios/BAEC
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:18 am
bsegreto

Thank you for posting this thread. It comes closest to summarizing how I feel, which is just a lack of confidence in collecting Avios going forward.

I am a US based flyer and I would actually like to collect Avios miles for short haul redemptions. However, the way BA handled this change creates tons of uncertainty for me.

I feel pretty confident about what my SkyPesos (insert many other programs here, not Aeroplan) are worth, even if next to nothing. But I have no clue what Avios might be worth because the program could change at any point in time.

I know all programs have a clause that the terms can change at anytime. But few actually change without notice, and even fewer change without notice and while using deceptive/untrue marketing messages.

Avios just seems like too risky of an investment for me right now to build points up there. If I need to, I'll transfer some points for each redemption I want.

On an unrelated subject...

Originally Posted by matthandy
That's good to hear ^

This makes perfectly logical sense to me. The more miles you have to fly, the more you should have to pay.

If I want to fly from Sydney to Melbourne, but end up going via Canberra, why should it cost the same as a direct Sydney to Melbourne flight?
Unfortunately, in practice this is not exactly correct. If they added the miles for both hops together, and then priced it would be correct. Instead, they price each segment. There will be cases where two medium hops (with longer total miles) will be cheaper than long hop followed by short hop.