FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dubai Properties Some of the Worst - Rant
Old Nov 16, 2011, 9:21 pm
FinalCallDXB

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Spire, HHonors Diamond, EK Gold
Originally Posted by OliverM
I thought the Dubai hotels do not participate in SPG? How can you do a mattress run?
By my understanding there are (currently) 15 Starwood properties in Dubai, of these 5 (the Westin, Royal Meridien, LM Airport, LM Fairway, & LM Mina Seyahi) don't participate in SPG. Al Maha Desert Resort has limited participation due to its all suite design. All of these are owned by the same group of companies that control Emirates (or by the key individuals involved in these). The same parties also own the LM Al Aqah in Fujairah, which also does not participate in SPG.

That leaves 3xSheraton, 3x Four Points, 2x Al Sondos LM, and Grosvenor House still participating.

Agree with the OP that the Al Sondos properties are far from stellar and not good representatives of the LM brand, but would argue that this is reflected in the rate. I have never had an issue with Sheraton Deira, and it certainly isn't even close to the worst Sheratons I've stayed in. The "party planners" in the hotel bars are unfortunately a feature of the area, and are just as bad in the JW Marriott hotel around the corner.

Even setting aside the properties with the SPG issue, I still think that Dubai has some great Starwood properties, I enjoy the Sheraton Creek, think that Four Points SZR is one of the best FPs in the network, and would rate Grosvenor House as one of my favourite properties anywhere in the world.