FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which card for free upgrades to first class?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 4:08 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allworld97
does anyone know which card automatically upgrades its users to first class for an airline. This is a perk that would get me paying up to a grand per year in membership. I am platinum with us airways but doesnt fly everywhere i wanna go.... anyway more specifically delta airlines..
One more thing: If you look into it, you may find that the grand per year that you were willing to pay for a card, if instead put into Mileage Runs, could get you close to lowest-level status on another airline. (Of course, it would cost some time on plane trips you others wouldn't need to take, in addition to the grand.) 5 transcons will net you very close to (or maybe even slightly over*) 25k elite qualifiying miles, and if you pick them very carefully only during sales, you might be able to do 5 same-day-turn transcons for about one grand (or at least not much over). Visit the Mileage Runs forum for more on this alternative concept for getting to status with a grand.

(*LAX to BOS is slightly over 5000 miles round trip, but LAX to JFK is slightly under 5000 miles round trip.)

Of course, since you dind't mention where you are, it's hard to say how practical this is. It might be easier for someone near either coast than for someone in the middle of the country, I don't know. (I'm based near LAX and so only experience with doing it from here.)

Of course, again, that grand-or-so of judiciously chosen mileage runs will still only get you to the lowest level of status, which may or may not get you what you consider a reasonbly success rate on upgrades (as I already explained in my previous post).