FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aloft Excel, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]
Old Nov 16, 2011, 3:26 pm
Land-of-Miles
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
My first time in an Aloft last weekend and I am not a fan of the concept really certainly not at the price of the Aloft London. At £96 inclusive of taxes there were a lot better options in the area and I was surprised at the lack of upgrade as a Plat and feel this should have been more clearly signposted.

To me this feels like an upmarket Holiday Inn Express or downmarket Mint Hotel. I do not see how the rates at this property are sustainable in the face of better cheaper full service competition in the immediate vicinity (brand new Ramada, Novotel and Crowne Plaza all offering a better experience IMHO).

The midweek rate of £200+ a night is a rather bad joke given that I can get a corporate rate at the nearby and better located Four Seasons Canary Wharf for less than the corporate rate at the Aloft. I live in the area and don't often stay locally but was curious about this property. I can see some pricing adjustment or massive corporate discounts crystallising in the not too distant future. At weekends the Hilton and Marriott in Canary Wharf are also much better options unless you absolutely must stay at the hotel.

On the plus side we had dinner and breakfast at FEDE in the Aloft and would definitely visit the restaurant again. It just seems bizarre that a restaurant within the hotel is not integrated to the level that bills can be charged to the room and thus SPG points earned. The room design is also much better than the W Leicester Square.

It also wasn't fully clear whether the car park was chargeable. I was told that it costs £14 a day, but then was not charged upon exit.