FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Expansion of PreCheck Announced - Does PreCheck Change Your Mind About TSA Policies?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:06 am
InkUnderNails

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Your argument is compelling ... which is why, as I said earlier, I'm of a mixed mind regarding the whole thing. This is one of the problems of using TT to exclude non-threats instead of isolating threats; lots of people like kids and non-US passengers simply have no accessible data trail to investigate, making them more likely to be targeted for additional screening.

But I also have no alternative to present, either. So I guess I'll continue to watch the debate ... and see how TT plays out when it moves out of the "pilot" stage to actual implementation.
I, too, am conflicted. Although I would be one of the last to be approved, WN primary airline and BNA as home airport, I would likely make the cut as I have already gotten NEXUS approval.

In a perfect world we would change from a two tier system of those presumed guilty but easily cleared and those that are highly suspicious and not easily cleared. If the TT program simply pulls away the percentage that can be precleared creating a third easily cleared tier and leaving the rest with no changes, then it will be a net positive. It does not have to be automatically assumed that because one is not a TT that they fall to a level lower than the one at which they currently are.

However, the devil is in the implementation. Two problems are likely, but both can be avoided. The first is obvious. The TSA needs to consider the non TT subset exactly as they do now, but it will be easy to accept the mentality that since one is not TT they must not be trusted. The second is less so. Anecdotal evidence is available that certain TSO's may view elite travelers with a certain level of contempt and treat them differently. If this occurs, it will only increase with a TT program.