FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The French skiing thread
View Single Post
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:24 pm
Mynameismud

Originally Posted by kahuna613
I need some advice. I am planning on going skiing briefly this February in France. I have a ticket to arrive in Geneva late on a Saturday evening and am departing out of Paris the following Wednesday morning.

I am debating between Portes du Soleil and maybe Tignes. PdS is, logistically, a lot easier, but I'm not entirely confident about the quality of the snow and skiing. Portes du Soleil is quite large, and I actually went hiking there two summers ago. Most of the lifts seem a bit older, and the elevations are a bit lower. I really enjoyed the above the trees, in the clouds feel of the upper levels of Les Arcs. Is it worth it to head a bit south towards Bourg Saint Maurice? Basically, since I'm coming from the US, I want to get the biggest bang for my buck.

I have skiied at the following places in the area, for comparison: Les Arcs, Valthorens, Valfrejus, Aussois, and Valcenis.

Also, I will be travelling alone, so I'd like to go somewhere where I can get out and hang out with people. I speak French, so that is not a problem. I have a reservation currently at the Logis Gentiana in Tignes and found a room in Morzine at the Ridge Hotel. Anyone have any experience?
As Stimpy said you should try to avoid school holidays as much as you can, otherwise be prepared to wait in long lines and worse than that, slopes will be loaded with beginners, ski school etc...

i haven't been to les portes du soleil for the last the 20 years and my last time in Tignes was in 1999 so i won't be that much helpfull...if you are looking for THE best resort you can't go wrong with Les 3 Vallées (Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires...), i know bodory and Jouy31 will agree