FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ETIHAD versus Emirates
View Single Post
Old Nov 13, 2011, 2:13 pm
edy4eva

Having just got off my first experience in EY here are my 2 cents from an F perspective:
- Transit at AUH is vastly better than at DXB (with the priority security lane), but it sort of loses out if your connecting plane is parked at gate 35, long long walk, and the lack of the dual airbridge. But I am not sure if all gates are the same.

- Lounge at AUH, what can I say, superb. I wish EK would revamp their F showers to have a proper toilettes in there. EY's F lounge location (after security), and the fact no announcements are made makes it an idle cocoon away from the noises. Sadly this can be easily spoilt by a loud group or kids playing with the computers.

- The EY suites are better in every way than EK's. They're roomier, more practical, less cluttred, easier to operate (manually operated doors). I had a good 8 hour sleep on AUH-SYD. A pretty flat bed and a soft well sized duvet, with the ottoman providing that extra feeling of comfort. EK's is lumpy not 100% flat in my view (toward the legrest at least).
A big plus on EY was being able to get out of the seat during the meal service (simply lowered the armrests and pushed the shelf tray forward), whereas in EK I would have been locked in place.

- The AV controller is easier to grasp and use but the E-Box interface is way too slow. Overall however I prefer it over EK's ICE. The headphones provided by EY are better too.

- The food experience, well, I didn't have just a meal with EY, it was proper breakfast and dinner. The little touches that go into the service makes a difference (for example placing the napkin on my lap, bringing just what I ordered instead of everything and whatever).

- EK has an advantage with the A380 shower experience and the wide bodies on the ME routes. EK also has its toilettes packed with toiletries (not that you need them but sometimes they come in handy) whereas EY had none. Also EK provides some perfume, deodorant and a hair brush with its amenities kit whereas EY does not. EY's PJ is softer but I prefer EK's zip-less top.

After this 'wow' moment, I can't wait to fly with EY again. Even if my experience was spoilt at the end by an hour delay that forced me to leave my luggage in Sydney as it was too late for QF to accept it.

Last edited by edy4eva; Nov 13, 2011 at 2:43 pm