FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Check the "Full Tank" quantity
View Single Post
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:12 pm
Blutak

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, BA Blue, Wyndham Diamond
Check the "Full Tank" quantity

In the UK I prepaid for the rental this weekend of an ECAR at Palm Springs airport in California. The voucher amount included "Airport Concession Fee". I had to purchase a full tank of gasoline at pick-up and return the car with no refund for unused fuel. I have no problem with that.
The rental agreement showed a charge for AirConFee and for 16 gallons of fuel. According to the manufacturer's handbook, the tank holds 12.4 gallons: i.e., I had been overcharged by 3.6 gallons - and the fuel gauge needle was just on 'F' anyway.
Since collecting the car (Ford Fiesta 4-door) I have spent over five hours on the telephone with Dollar, both to the outlet and to the corporate contact centre - time I can ill afford to lose. Several times they promised that someone would return my call within 30 minutes, but never did so (presumably hoping that I would go away).
Eventually they agreed that I was correct , but only after I threatened to go to the police alleging fraud, and to inform the Wall Street Journal (and FT, of course!).They claimed that the fuel quantity had been entered wrongly on to their database and nobody had noticed it until I called.
They also agreed to refund the AirConFee (or should it be the airCONfee?)